Update on English Language Requirements for 2020 Entry
As English language testing centres in different countries are currently closed, there has been concern around the ability to demonstrate that the English language requirement has been met.
The Consortium has agreed to offer some flexibility which we hope will reassure offer holders and new applicants of their ability to meet these requirements.
- Where an offer holder has taken two IELTS tests within 6 months of each other, and through a combination of these tests has met the English language requirements, the University will accept the combined scores.
- The validity of an IELTS test will be extended from 2 years and 5 months prior to the date of entry to 4 years 5 months.
- We are currently reviewing the new Indicative Test offered by IELTS and will update on this in due course.
- The University of Glasgow will accept the TOEFL At Home test at our usual TOEFL scores.
- We will also accept TOEFL MyBest.
- The validity of a TOEFL test will be extended from 2 years and 5 months prior to the date of entry to 4 years 5 months.
Duolingo will be accepted for entry to our Pre-Sessional English and degree level programmes with standard English language requirements with the following scores:
- 115 – direct entry to degree programme
- 105 – direct entry to degree programme with compulsory in-sessional English support
- 100 – entry to the 5 week online Pre-Sessional English course
- 95 – entry to the 10 week online Pre-Sessional English course
- We already accept BALEAP-accredited online and offline Pre-Sessional programmes at other UK institutions.
- Where an offer holder has studied at least two years of an undergraduate degree in English in a country which speaks English as a primary language or at an institution in their home country on a Trans-National Education opportunity, and has successfully passed that degree, no further evidence of English language will be required.
- Where an offer holder has studied a postgraduate degree taught fully in English at an overseas institution based in their home country, and has successfully passed that degree, no further evidence of English language will be required.
- In some cases, we will accept an English language qualification taken in the applicant’s home country; e.g. WAEC, Indian CSE. For further information on whether we will accept a specific qualification please contact the International Recruitment Officer for that region. You can find details of named contacts through the University of Glasgow country pages.
Where an offer holder is unsure whether their English language meets the entry requirements, they are encouraged to contact the Admissions Team with evidence of their existing achievement for assessment at email@example.com
The above measures are in response to the issues around the Coronavirus epidemic and the difficulties it has brought, and are not intended to reflect a change in admissions policies generally. These measures will be applicable for autumn 2020 entry only, and will be reviewed for Autumn 2021 entry.
Full information at English Language for 2020 Entry
See English Language proficiency level for programme entry on the Entry Requirements section.
Date: May 14, 2020 9:35 am
Categorised in: IMSISS